Located along the shore of the East River contiguous with historic Williams Wharf Landing, is the B. Williams and Co. Store, a local landmark since its construction in 1869. It served as a general merchandise store, ships chandlery, specialty ladies hat shop and post office during the late nineteenth century and into the twentieth.
Owned by the Williams-Murray family since the last eighteenth century, this site and family served as a major focal point of much of the activity that took place at this busy port and crossroads for nearly 200 years.
Recently, the MLC was awarded a Virginia Land Conservation Foundation grant for $345,000 over a period of two years, which covered ½ of the purchase price set at $690,000.
B. Williams Store is owned, operated and maintained by the Mathews Land Conservancy for the general public. Specifically, the Store will be a secure site for housing and displaying the artifacts and memorabilia associated with the history and activities that have transpired at the Wharf over the centuries.
In March 2009, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources placed the B. Williams and Company Store in the Virginia Landmarks Register and recommended this property for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.